Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Packaging

One of the things I most struggle with in terms of the low-impact consumption is explaining to friends why it is useful for me to not buy things. A friend was frustrated with me the other day when I explained that I wouldn't be buying any sewing patterns, even though there was going to be a good sale. Her question was Why is it wasteful if you're going to actually use it?

The point for me is to restructure my thinking. What is useful, what is needed and what is wanted are all relative. I can sew with patterns I already have. I don't need more just because I want more.

The other issue, however, has to do with waste. Check out the following pictures. This stylus is one of four we ordered.


The following is a picture of all the packaging that the tiny little things came in.

I think it's important to be aware of the waste we create when we're consuming. Anything I buy has garbage that comes with it, garbage that was created using natural resources. I want more responsibility from the companies that I buy from, but more than anything, I want more responsibility from myself.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

The stylus packaging is such a great mental picture, it drives home the downside of online shopping. I'm trying to walk more gently too, and I just found your blog. (I really was looking for thoughts on the scoop necked simplicity top,I ended up here!)

Cheryl M said...

Thanks for the comment, Antonia. I really suggest the Simplicity top. It's my favorite summer top so far. Have you checked out the patternreview.com reviews of the pattern?

Peggy said...

Thanks for pointing me towards pattern review-I was not wild about the neckline instructions-loved all the alternative methods of doing it.

Cheryl M said...

Would love to see your final top, Antonia. Glad to hear patternreview was helpful. I get a lot out of that web page.