Saturday, July 12, 2008

Might You Need to Update Your Voter Registration?

So earlier this week I get a call from the Obama campaign.

(Back up four years.) There was a time when I didn't vote. Then a time when I voted, payed attention to political news, and debated with friends. Then I started realizing that elections and campaigns don't happen magically. People are behind them. These people need help. Much of this realization came from my introduction to the Adlers, a very politically active family in town. So I started getting involved more, helping out. I walked door-to-door for Bonnie Parnell, who is a retired teacher (woop! to the teachers in the house) and now state assembly woman. Then I slowly started doing more. I stick to candidates and issues I feel adamant about, but I have committed to being more politically engaged.

(Fast forward to this week.) I get a call from the Obama campaign. They want to know if I'm willing to help. So I say yes. They want me to host one of those house party thingies.

I don't want a divorce, so I say no.

Can I work the booth at the Friday Night Party at 3rd Street? They'll be registering people to vote.

Sure, why not.

Here's what I envision: A white booth with "Voter Registration" painted in blue and red and little American flags flapping in the wind. I sit there with a fellow registrar talking about life and local politics and mutual friends while people come to us smiling and asking for the form to register to vote.

Cue record screeching, ala Alley McBeal.

It's a live rock concert. Of a band who plays covers of classic rock bands: Aerosmith, The Eagles, Van Halen. My job is to circulate the crowd and ask them if they'd like to register to vote or update their voter registration. Mind you, this is to people sitting in lawn chairs on a street, drinking alcohol and listening to classic rock. On a Friday night. They don't want me around.

Most are nice, but it really didn't seem the appropriate place for me to be walking around with a clip board. Then I get to sit at the "booth," which is a table set up outside Pop's BBQ with a poster that is made of printer paper taped together and "Voter Registration" written in orange high lighter.

OK. So this is a grass roots project. I know that these people have worked hard to make things happen, and the three bright and energetic, young, recent college graduates running the show are inspiring in their enthusiasm, work ethic, and vigor. And I know I have to leave my ego at the door when I'm doing things like this. I'm glad I did it.

But walking around with a clipboard asking partiers if they want to register to vote is not my thing.

Maybe a house party isn't such a bad idea.

No comments: