Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Jessie Jackson Hubbub (Rant Warning)

So while on the dentist's chair today, I get to watch CNN (but not hear it). Jessie Jackson is apologizing publicly to Obama for something he said after an interview when he didn't realize that his mic was still on.

I come home to try to find out what he said. CNN's article hinted at something to do with Fox News. This FOX News article indicated that the apology came before the comments were to be aired on The O'Reilly Factor.

Now I'm irritated.

I'm irritated at the hypocrisy of a Christian preacher who says such negative comments about someone he supposedly supports.

I am irritated with myself for gossip-seeking and actually turning to Fox News for that information.

I'm irritated with Fox News (not a new concept in our liberal household) for airing gossipy content under the guide of "news." (Although, really, is anything on The O'Reilly Factor ever really news?)

This is why I stick to Newsweek and Time and avoid CNN. Anymore, it seems like CNN is far too often airing celebrity tabloid stories. If I want to know who wore Armani to a red carpet event or the latest scoop on Brittany Spears, I have endless channels to wander through that allow me to participate in garbage TV. In fact, E! is devoted to pretty much nothing but that. So I want my news to remain news.

For the sake of full disclosure, I should fess up here: I do sometimes watch the tabloidy TV, especially after major red carpet events because I am in love with gorgeous dresses. But when I want to know what's going on with the current political election or the war in Iraq or the latest medical research, I should be able to turn to a channel largely void of the candy TV, one that gets straight to the chase.

About ten years ago, CNN ran this commercial: It was a spoof on the Good Morning America type shows. It was a commentator saying, "Big news overseas! But first, is your pet psychic?" I loved it because it so wells summarized those morning shows: Splatterings of news mixed with candy TV, which is fine as long as you know that's what you're getting. But CNN should be news. Nothing but news. And Brittany's split from Fed-ex and George Clooney's new relationship with Ms. Hotty is NOT NEWS!

Newsweek and Time have their gossipy stories, and they'll both probably cover the Jessie Jackson scandal, but at least I can sort through the article titles and choose what I want to read.

I apologize for the rant.

***
Back to the dentist's: I got two new front teeth! Woohoo. When the swelling in my gums go down, I'll post a pic.

No comments: