Monday, June 30, 2008

Low Impact

For the month of July, I have committed to another low-impact consumption month. I am a little uneasy about it, considering that during the summer is harder because I'm off of work and have more time to . . . desire things.

Here are my plans:
  • Purchasing of nothing except necessary groceries.
  • Making more clothe grocery bags out of fabric from my stash.
  • Walking when possible.
  • Talking to my daughter about our shopping habits and what it means to the larger community.
  • Inviting others to join me.

Here are some exceptions:

  • Starbucks is allowed if I bring my own cup and request that they not print a receipt.
  • Necessary groceries is a pretty flexible term to include things like ice cream and coffee and coffee cream, which are not essentials, but are groceries.
  • I am throwing a 40th birthday party for my best friend that includes a guest list of more than 70 people. I am going to be using disposable dishes for this event.
  • I will need to buy a few birthday presents.

The undecideds:

  • The last time I did this, allowed myself to buy digital items: songs, digital scrapbooking graphics, etc. I'm not so sure about that this time. Part of why I am doing this is to practice letting go of the process of acquisition. Shopping for digital items is shopping.
  • Last time I allowed myself to go to non-take out restaurants. The problem is that I usually end of bringing home food in a large styrofoam container or just leaving food to be tossed. Both are wasteful. Another option is to commit to ordering only what I know I want to eat.

Objectives:

  • To establish a pattern of more responsible consumptive patterns.
  • To practice letting go of the process of acquisition.
  • To give myself more time for the things I love: my family and friends, my hobbies, my Buddhist practice, the Dharma.

Care to join me?

One a different note: I was reminded of the importance of mindfulness when I realized I had over-dosed my son with Tylenol by giving him the dose for Children's Tylenol but with the Infant's Concentrate. Luckily, I realized it before I had given him another dose. The problem with Tylenol, as I learned from Poison Control, is that it's not just the one dose that is the problem; you have to look at how much they've had over a 24 hour period. Two doses would have meant a trip to the ER. More than that may have meant liver failure, even possibly death. This is what happens when your mind isn't clear, and you're being reactive to the stressful environment, rather than in control of yourself.

No comments: