Monday, June 23, 2008

Spiritual Laziness, Part II

Now that I am officially done with work for the summer, I have found that my pace is much slower than before. I am spending more time with my children, just being with them as well as "doing" things with them, like going to parks, tea parties, reading, etc. I am enjoying the quiet time with them in the back yard as they play, throwing balls with my son, dress dolls with my daughter.

I am also meditating more. And being present a lot more. Without the constant concern of the items on a to-do list, I can be more present, more mindful, and more spiritual.

The key is going to be to find a way to slow down during the school year so that I can still be the spiritual person I want to be.

I think an important point is to define spiritual, at least in how I see it. To me, being spiritual isn't about mysticism. It's about the tiniest movement I make as I live my life. This moment as I type is an opportunity for spirituality. As I drink my latte, I have the opportunity to be spiritual. Choosing the be fully present with my children is a spiritual choice. Meditating is important, but spirituality is there as a way of life twenty four hours a day.

When I first started studying Buddhism (one short year ago), my first book was Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das. He talked a lot about his time in Tibet and about Tibetan monks. For example, in discussing the preservation of life, he explained that during the rainy season some monks will sweep the ground in front of them as they walk to prevent any beings from being stepped on and that some don't venture outside for that very same reason. Reading this, I thought It's easy to live the Dharma when you're a monk living in a cave. Harder when you're a working mother of two. (Listen, I know it sounds petty, but I'm trying to be honest here.) But after some time it occurred to me that there was another way of looking that this. I could think that being a working mother of two children makes it difficult to be spiritual. I could also look at it a different way: that being a working mother of two small children makes it that much more important that I be spiritual.

I practice for me, for sure. But I also practice for my children, my husband, my students, my friends, my family. Being a more spiritual person hopefully makes me better at all the roles I play in life.

Well, I think my thinking has meandered enough. Off to clean the house while I have the place to myself.

Peace, love and happiness to you all.

No comments: