Thursday, May 15, 2008

One-Day-a-Week Ordination

So I'm still reading the essay collection called Hooked. This one essayist, Ajahn Amaro, in his essay "Three Robes is Enough" explains one of the Buddha's teachings for lay practioners who want to "deepen their practice." We have the five precepts for lay practioners, but this idea of one-day-a-week ordination suggests that every "lunar quarter," we accept the precepts given to monks. Amaro lists them as follows:
  1. Do not kill
  2. Do not take was is not freely given
  3. Abstain from sexual activity
  4. "Abandon false speech"
  5. Abstain from intoxicants
  6. Eat once a day and not at night
  7. Abstain from music and shows, as well as from wearing "adornments"
  8. Sleep in a low, not soft bed

I kind of like this idea. It intrigues me. I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "Lunar quarter." Weekly maybe? I'm not sure I want to take this on weekly as this point, but once a month would be a good start.

On another note, I got a new camera for Mother's Day, which is a relief. I have been taking pictures, but haven't loaded the software onto my computer, so I haven't been able to upload pics yet. Hopefully this weekend I'll get that settled.

2 comments:

Anapana said...

Hola, es una experiència molt interessant, jo practico el budisme, i es una filosofia de vida, fer uns quants dies de vots, és més fàcil del que sembla, t'ajudarà viure la vida d'una altra manera.
Om,Ma,Ni,Pe, Me Hung.
Àngel (Xicme Tenpa)
anapana.sola@gmail.com

Anapana said...

Hola, el Budisme es una filosofia molt interessant, ajuda a comprendre la vida i a ser feliç.
Que tots els éssers siguin feliços!
OM MA NI PE ME HUNG
Àngel (Xicme Tenpa)
anapana.sola@gmail.com