Saturday, May 31, 2008

Being In the Body

At the right speech retreat, we talked a lot about the importance of "being in the body." By this, I believe, we mean to be aware of our physical presence - how we're feeling. It came up because when we're dealing with a conflict, it's good to be aware of how we're physically responding to the person so that we can be mindful of our actions. For example, if I find that my muscles tighten when I'm talking to someone, I can think about how I am feeling tense and try not to let my tension drive my part in the conversation.

Overall, however, being in the body contributes more broadly to living mindfully, and I've been working on being aware of my physical responses to my world.

Tonight, my son came down with a high fever . . . and quickly at that. I felt panicky. I know I can't get hysterical when my kids are sick, partly because I know I'm most likely overreacting and partly because I know it can only make the situation worse. So I tried to think about my physical reaction to the situation. My chest muscles were tight, I had butterflies in my stomach, and (something I have recently noticed happening) my arms were tingling. (The arm tingling I have noticed a lot lately. I've never really been aware of it before; I'm guessing this is the result of me now becoming more mindful, not because the tingling is new.)

I reminded myself of the concept of clinging, that I was clinging to my son's health. Part of me thought I need to let go. Sickness is part of life. Stop clinging to his health. And the other part of me thought Screw that! My son is sick! My son is sick! When you're imagining the worst case scenario - (Dare I say it?) that your child may die - being mindful seems a little . . . pointless. Nevertheless, I tried to stay mindful, tried to stay calm at least on the exterior.

My son's fever dropped to 100.3 after Tylenol and a cold bath. Now he's in bed, and I have all night to worry. It will be a good exercise in being mindful, present, and in the body. And a good exercise in realizing that the world doesn't end just because my lil' guy has a fever.

On another note: Thanks to Tori for acknowledging that she has read my blog. (Hello, Tori!)

No comments: