Sunday, May 18, 2008

Meditation

At last week's retreat, the instructor, Donald Rothberg, gave instructions to the newbies on walking meditation. He suggested that we should split our meditations up 50/50 - half sitting and half walking. I really like the walking meditation - somehow I am able to focus better on my foot than my breath. And since I mostly meditate in the evening (when I'm tired), it's helpful because it keeps me from falling asleep. Now the trick for me is to not fall back too much on walking meditation and to still doing sitting meditations.

I think I'm ready for some meditation supplies. I've been meditating for almost a year now and have resisted buying anything for it. But now I feel it's time to try a zafu, the meditation cushion, (or maybe a bench) and maybe even a Buddha statue. Somehow it didn't seem right to run out and buy things for this practice. Now it seems appropriate.

No comments: