Sunday, January 2, 2011

Reverb 2010: Blog Prompts from Gwen Bell

Lat December, well December 2009, I followed Gwen Bell's suggestions for a blog a day to cover the previous year. I want to do the same for 2010, but of course I am running late. But, meh! Who cares about timeliness. December and May are crazy months for us for a whole slew of reasons. So why not blog in January?

Prompt 1: Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

For 2010, I think the one word has to be "roller coaster." Okay, so that is cheating because it's two words. The year started out bleak. I don't know why, but the winter sucked me dry of my energy and enthusiasm. Then as the weather improved, so did my mood. So many things this year caught me off guard, but especially being chosen as the school teacher of the year, then the district teacher of the year, and then the state teacher of the year. While this semester has been one of my best as a teacher (my classes this year ROCK), it has also been one of the saddest semesters. Lots of people around me have suffered immensely, and we put our dog down.
 
For 2011, I want the word to be "simplify." There is not doubt I need to simplify my life. Simplify my possessions and my commitments and my goals. That's the plan, anyway.

Prompt #2:  Writing. What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it? (Author: Leo Babauta)

Well, this is an easy one - my master's program keeps me from writing. And I have two more days of a break before it starts again, so I who knows when I will blog again. The good news is that for my master's I write a paper a week, which keeps my writing skills well-honed.

Prompt #3: Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)


This is an easy one: the moment when the state announced I received the state teacher of the year award. I was pretty nervous going into the assembly because there were rumors I was the reason for the assembly. Now, you have to know that the idea of over 2,000 people gathering and paying attention to me is about as close to terrifying as anything could get. As it became clear why the presenter was there, I got so nervous that I could hear my heart pounding. My voice and my hands shook when I walked to the front of the gym and accepted the award. It was all a whirl - lots of cheering and lots of shaking on my part. The best part was when the students were released to go back to class, three boys from my junior class last year rushed down to hug me. That moment right there was one of the best moments of my life - my junior class last year was full of both kindness and brilliance. I could not have asked for a better group of students, and having some of them there to cheer me on so deliberately made my year.
Prompt #4: Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year? (Author: Jeffrey Davis)


My profession has always initiated a sense of wonder for me.  As an English teacher, I have always loved being able to explore new authors and new writing processes for students. Lately, however, I have felt compelled to research more educationally-driven issues: I researched sleep and school start times, Hispanic enrollment in honors/AP classes, co-teaching, and cheating and plagiarism, just to name a few.
Well, that's all for now. See you soon hopefully.

No comments: