Monday, January 17, 2011

More Reverb 2010 Questions

Here's another one:  Body Integration. This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present? (Author: Patrick Reynolds)

At first, I thought I would just pass on this prompt, but when I think about it, I would have to say there have been times when I was working out when I had this cohesive ME experience. And there have been a few times cuddling with my kids or in the classroom when things seem so natural and at ease

Action. When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step? (Author: Scott Belsky)

My next step is more about inaction than action. At least personally it is. I want to scale back, to focus on the people in my life and to not always be so concerned with accomplishing something. In the long run, reading a book with my kids is more valuable than accomplishing the task of emptying the dishwasher or folding laundry. But, dang, that is so much easier to say than do. At some point, someone has to empty the dishwasher or fold the laundry.

Or maybe not.

Appreciate. What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it? (Author: Victoria Klein)

This has been hard for me to answer, but I think the Dharma is something I continue to be grateful for. I know it sounds cheesy, but what I have learned and what I am hoping to someday more successfully practice are concepts that affect every moment of my life. Compassion, for example, applies whether I am in my kitchen, in my car, in my classroom, or in the boardroom. On the cushion or off, the teachings have affected my life and effected change in my life.

How do I express gratitude? Well, not well enough. I do say a little thank you for this opportunity to meditate at the end of every meditation. But there is so much more I could be doing to express this gratitude from saying thank you to those who have made it possible for me to learn and practice to giving back more to my community to making more of an effort to live what I am learning.

So with that, thank you for this opportunity to reflect on what is important in my life.

No comments: