Sunday, January 9, 2011

Moving along on the blog prompts

Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)

This is the current prompt from the Reverb 2010 blog prompts that I am working on, more than a month late, I might add. This one has me stumped. I guess my answer is mostly I dunno. I guess I don't know what I do that makes people light up except that I smile at people a lot. Paradoxically, I both love people and am extremely shy. This often causes discord for me, but I think the real important quality I have that makes me different is that I love teenagers. I am frequently asked why I would want to work with teenagers. You know, the whole kids-these-days song and dance. But on top of finding teens quite respectful and kind, I have learned that I love this age because it is the age in which teens start deciding whom they are separate from their parents, their siblings, and (gasp!) their friends. I think it's exciting to be a part of a student's exploration of what it means to be her. And this plays out intellectually in the classroom when students believe one thing, but their research leads them elsewhere. How exciting to watch a student explore an issue like stem cell research and do a complete 180 on the topic.

I don't think this love of adolescence makes people shine, but it does make the work I do more meaningful. I love my students and love being around them, and generally, I think they sense that.

Well, this topic warrants more contemplation, so I am going to move on: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans. (Author: Shauna Reid)

My friends Bob and Mandy hosted a 40th birthday party for me and my work buddies. It was a lot of fun. The best food there - various delicious cheeses my friends Terri and Adam brought. The best conversation - Scott telling us about his son's new girlfriend. In text that isn't funny, but it was hilarious in person. The best music - Bob bought Motley Crue's album Shout at the Devil. Hee hee. It took me back to the days of ratted hair and Ratt.

Next question:
Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out? (Author: Susannah Conway)

Definitely deciding to pursue my master's. As hard as it has been to juggle teaching literature, grading papers, being a mom, working out, maintaining a social life, and meditating all while doing my master's, I have discovered that I really love the issues and topics that go along with education administration. Case in point: I was writing a paper, and my friend Ben agreed to meet me for coffee at 10 a.m. to help me work out an issue. At one point, I thought, "I'm getting hungry. It must be about noon. I should suggest we get something to eat." I looked at my watch - it was 2 p.m.! We had talked about this issue almost entirely for four hours, and I hadn't realized so much time had passed. I am sure both our spouses were a little skeptical as to what we were actually doing, but unless you count discussing the priorities of a successful co-teaching program having an affair, then you can rest assure that everything was on the up-and-up.


Well, it is time to meditate and call it a night. It's cold here. Here's to wishing you have plenty of warm drinks to warm your tummy and friendship to warm your heart.




No comments: