Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Best Laugh

Gwen Bell - Big Love in a Small World - Blog - The Best of 2009 Blog Challenge: "Laugh. What was your biggest belly laugh of the year?"

I spend my day around high school students. Sometimes they drag me into the gutter. Sometimes I drag them into the gutter.

I was explaining the word "perfunctory" and how you do something perfunctorily when you do it everyday.

So this kid raises his hand and says, "So you know that thing I do in the shower every morning? I do that perfunctorily?"

I nodded and thought I would be able to keep my cool and move on, but it took about three seconds before I was laughing so hard tears rolled down my face. I tried to hide behind the podium and get myself together, but I was laughing too hard.

The class got quiet. Then a couple people started to snicker. Then more started to snicker. Then the boy who asked the question started to guffaw.

We laughed for quite some time.

Then someone said, "Mrs. Macy, we would NOT have gone there if you hadn't gone there."

It was clear this kid meant shampoo his hair, but we had a good gutter laugh about it for weeks.

I love my job.

No comments: