Sunday, February 3, 2008

New Challenge/Staying Sane with Papers

For the month of February, I have decided that I will eat veggies with at least two meals per day. For some people, this may seem like a no-brainer, but I'm more of a bread and meat and fruits eater, so this could be challenging.

I forgot on Friday, so I started yesterday. It was good for. For lunch, I ate a salad before I ate the rest of my lunch. For dinner, I had hot and sour soup, which - now that I think of it - doesn't really have many veggies at all. Hmm... I need to pay more attention.

I wanted something that wouldn't mean a lot of extra time, since I will be getting 90 research papers in soon. I won't have much time to do anything besides live and grade, particularly since Jason has a play opening in two weeks and since I have a limited amount of time due to committee due dates. I am working on keeping a positive attitude and trying to find a way I can grade all those papers without giving up the rest of my life. I know it's possible.

My plan:
  • Remember to keep a positive attitude and remember that this time is short lived.
  • Allow for flexibility. If a paper doesn't get graded in time for committee, so be it. We'll all survive.
  • Ask to be subbed out a couple days to grade.
  • Use my special ed teachers to plan and teach so that I can grade.
  • Use a B6 prep here and there to grade.
  • Start deligating more, esp. with department head work.
  • Hire a cleaning lady.
  • Working out and meditating to help with stress.
  • Saying goodbye to sewing and scrapbooking for a while (gotta finish that skirt first!).
  • Keep the papers down to 1/2 hour a pop versus the 1 hour allotment I've used in the past.
  • Ask my co-teachers to take the lower end special ed students' papers.
  • Make sure I give students enough time to write, edit, peer edit, and edit again so that their papers are as good as they can make them.
  • Refuse to grade sloppy, unedited papers.
  • Ask my friend to babysit once in a while at night so I can grade.

Okay. This isn't therapy. I need to print this list and post if on my mirror and in my car and in my purse and on my computer at school.

No comments: