Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What I'm Reading Right Now

I have a number of books going. (Normally, I'm a one-book-at-a-time person.)

I am reading two Tim O'Brien books for my classes - The Things They Carried and If I Die in a Combat Zone. I thoroughly enjoy both of these books, one a fictional account and one a memoir of the Vietnam War. I LOVE the Things They Carried. The first story in the book entitled "The Things They Carried" is about the things the soldiers carried - literally and figuratively. He writes about how they carried pictures of their girlfriends and the ghosts of their fallen comrades. He writes about how they carried weapons and their guilt over being afraid. The carried beer and shame. It's truly a wonderful piece of fiction that my AP students enjoy.

If I Die is a little more straight-forward, but still a very interesting account of the war. My English IV students are really interested in the Vietnam War. They have a lot of questions and know very little about the war. They want to know why we went to war and who we were fighting and why the soldiers weren't treated well when they returned. I think they see themselves a lot in this book because they know that many of their classmates will be joining the military within months, or sometimes days, of graduating. They are completely quiet when we talk about the war. It's heaven for an English IV teacher. :)

I am also just starting Three Cups of Tea, which is for my book club. Don't know too much at this time.

I have been slowly reading Thubten Chodron's Guided Meditations on the Stages of the Path, which accompanies her guided meditation CD. It's very instructive and includes a style of meditation I haven't yet played with. I am enjoying it.

No comments: