Saturday, January 26, 2008

Low Impact Consumption


For the month of January, I pledged (along with the members of the Environmental Club at CHS) to a month of low-impact consumptiom. To my surprise, it wasn't as difficult as I expected.

I decided I couldn't buy anything but groceries. I decided later to allow for a couple exceptions: Starbucks as long as I bring my own cup, some pictures for my mom's brag book before she left for her snowbirding trip for two months, a reward for Rosalind, some digi files, and food at restaurants that aren't fast food.

This has been an excellent excercise in mindfulness more than anything. It has taught me that I shop without thinking. I have a number of times immediately thought, "I'll go buy that." Now that the month is coming to an end, the one thing I know I want to buy is a sports bra. I can't even remember most of the other things that I had considered buying, which just goes to show that I don't "need" all those things I think I need. Or for that matter, I don't even really want all those things I think I want.

For next month, I will focus on something else, as is my plan for the year. I think I'll do a couple more low-impact months this year, another month of every day workouts (did that for 21 days this month), a month of thank you cards, a month of meditating (although I'd really like to do that daily anyway) and a month of veggies at two meals a day.

I added a pci of Roz to this post, since my children are much of the reason I'm doing this low-impact month. I want them grow up in a clean environment, and I want them to know that material items do not bring happiness.

No comments: