Sunday, January 10, 2010

» Consumerism vs. minimalism | mnmlist.com

On the mnmlist web page, the author has written an article on how to be more minimalist in your approach to shopping. I like his ideas:

» Consumerism vs. minimalism mnmlist.com:

"Learn to be more conscious of my impulses when I'm ready to buy something."
For the first few months of no shopping, I found myself accidentally paying for impulse buys before I realized that it conflicted with my resolution. The more often I practice low impact months, the easier it becomes to avoid impulse purchases.

"Learn to pause, and to breathe, to let the physical desire wane."
Being mindful of the physical sensations I get from shopping not only allow me to make more appropriate shopping choices, but it also is a practice in everyday mindfulness and awareness of the body. I get lots of benefits from being aware of the thrill I get from shopping. Before I started this, I wasn't even aware that I got any thrill from shopping.

"Force myself to wait, if the purchase isn't an absolute necessity."
That's what my entire month forces me to do. It's amazing how much I think I need when I am in the store and seeing color and shape. At home, it doesn't seem so necessary.

"Let myself think about it, and analyze whether it's something I really need to buy. Often the answer is no. "
I am still working on this.

"Slowly improve upon this, over time, as I always make mistakes."
One of my newer mottos is to cut everyone, myself included, some slack.

So which of these quotes most speaks to you?

No comments: