Monday, October 26, 2009

Watching them grow isn't always easy

My daughter is getting to be a "big kid." She already has that big kid attitude, the whatever in her voice. But she'll always be my little girl. I have been reflecting lately on her growing up and the things that I so admire or find endearing in her personality right now:
  • She is an includer, always making sure people feel part of the group.
  • Although she loves princesses, she also likes trains and tools.
  • She is still, even at age six, a crazy dresser, and sometimes I want to scream You can't leave the house in THAT at her. Nevertheless, I bite my tongue and let her walk proudly out the door in her purple dress, red leggings, and rainbow socks.
  • She is incredibly creative and can develop plot lines more intriguing that those in most children's movies.
  • She can read better than some high school kids, no kidding. I knew she'd be a good reader, but holy cow, the girl can read some challenging material!
  • She won't clean her room, but she will line up every toy in the bathroom, meticulously fold all the towels, strategically place the soap dispenser in the most particular way, and even line up the toilet paper rolls better than most OCD adults I know. Meanwhile, her room is literally dangerous to walk into.
  • She has a better understanding of pitch than do I and is proving very successful on the piano.
  • She draws lovely pictures of all sorts of things, but especially of people she loves.
Let us not forget to show our appreciation for those we love.

No comments: