Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Simplicity Update

I haven't posted much about this, but my goal for this year was to simplify my life. The challenge to this is that -- paradoxically -- it sometimes takes work and time to simplify, and as I have learned, sometimes life has other plans. I planned on simplifying, and the next thing I new, life got pretty complicated with the Teacher of the Year responsibilities, few as they are in comparison to most other states.

However, I have made some changes in my life, and I have seen the difference in my state of mind and happiness. My intention is to simplify so that I can spend more time doing the things that I value most, that bring me the most happiness, that enrich my life. Here is what I have done so far:
  • Cleaned out some closets and drawers, resulting in many trips to local thrift stores. Our coat closet has - gasp! - room for more stuff, though I hope to keep it the way it is now.
  • Almost entirely eliminated regular TV viewing from my life. I say almost because I do watch Top Chef every week with my husband and the occasional movie on Netflix. We are even cancelling our cable, though we will have instant Netflix and Hulu available through the TV. Honestly, though, I have to say that this one change has made the most difference in my life. TV is nothing but visual and intellectual clutter that takes time away from other more meaningful activities.
  • Established more routines. In general, I am not fond of routines. Of course, I live in a world of routines. A bell tells me when I can use the restroom and when it's time to eat, and I am not sure if my dislike of routines is because of this or despite it. Nevertheless, I am making a conscious effort to incorporate more routine into my life. A simple routine can free the mind and the schedule up for more important activities. I won't bore you with the details, but even something as simple as charging my cell phone on particular days helps streamline my life.
  • Largely reduced my time on Facebook and the Internet in general. Like TV, Facebook is digitial clutter. It's easy to spend an hour on Facebook and accomplish nothing. There have been some times when I have consciously chosen to devote some time to Facebook, and last week I spent a lot of time on Facebook for a few different reasons, but overall, I feel as if I have lost nothing in this reduction of computer time.
  • Said no to a number of invitations. This is hard for me. I am a shower-upper. If a friend is having a get-together, I not only want to go, but feel obligated to go. This is silly, of course. In fact, I am reminded of an article I used to give my students "Saying No So That I Can Say Yes" in which the author argues that it is important to say no to certain demands on your time so that you can say yes to those that most matter. I have said no to a night of wine tasting so that I could spend time with my kids. I have said no to coffee with a friend so that I could fit in a workout at the gym. (And I said no to a nap this weekend so that I could have coffee with a friend.) In general, I have slimmed down the items on my calendar, as that blank space usually means more family time, and happily I still have plenty of fun and still go out and have coffee and enjoy the company of other grown-ups; I am just more discerning in what I say yes to.
  • Put my master's on hold. This has helped me manage the extra tasks on my to-do list that I hadn't expected.
  • Stepped down as department chair, which has freed me up in terms of time, energy and emotions. It sort of doesn't count because I made that decision over a year ago, but this one action inspired me to streamline elsewhere.
  • Cleaned out my email in-boxes at home and at work. Everything was filed, handled or deleted.
  • Cancelled email subscriptions. Although this took some time, the 50 fewer emails I get a day has made an enormous impact on my time at the computer. And I don't miss any of the coupons, sales indicators, Facebook notifications, or newsletters I previously received. 
Areas in need of more simplification:
  • Not shopping. Getting rid of things is one thing. Not bringing more into the house is entirely different and even more important. I need to be more discerning in what I buy. It has become increasingly apparent to me that my consumeristic patterns are going to take some time to overcome.
  • Saying no to tasks at work. Oh, goodness, this will by my challenge until the day I die, though I am working on it. I just applied for a giant year-long project at work. Why, you ask? Good question.
  • Getting my kids involved more in chores. Let's face it, they can pick up the towels and clean off the table just as easily as I can.
  • Getting rid of more stuff. We're working on this.

No comments: